Because everyone eats, and I am between weekends helping to feed my group, I thought this would be a good time to discuss WHAT everyone eats at events. Also, what are the favorite foods to HAVE out at an event.

I know that sausages are always popular (go figure) and with Kriegshunde Fahnlein, we're big on meat - type foods (although we do have some non-meat eaters and do our best to make sure they have enough, too).

Also, for the adventurous, do you have any favorite recipes, particularly of period Germanic dishes that you'd like to share here (pretty please!!! I'm always looking for something else yummy!!!).

Views: 461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am totally loving this little gem from Latvia!

http://www.arheo.lv/maizes_krasns/bread_oven_lv.htm

Seems like a good weekend project for anyone with a permanent site that will allow for fires and some 'all year standing' construction...
It might be possible to build a transportable one.
There is a site that a friend located for me that has plans for one - heavy beast though!: http://www.engr.psu.edu/mtah/projects/clay_oven.htm

Our friend and potter (Barbara Flynn of Moonstone Pottery) attempted to make us a ceramic fire-bell/mini-oven - yep, they had these - but the darn things kept cracking while they were drying out for the kiln. The one that made it to glaze and fire got knocked off the rack outside of her shop by a PacBell worker there to repair the phone line. I think we decided that the Gods were against the concept at that point...*chuckle*

My collection of more authentic cookware is (very) slowly growing so it has occurred to me that I need more authentic recipes.

I am surprised that no one has posted new recipes here for so long.  What has everyone found and tried lately?  Any new camp cooking pictures to share? 

This forum might interest folks here too: http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/forums.html

"Seven hundred guestswere invited to the wedding of a Berlin maiden at the end of the 16th Century. The meal started with a beer soup heavily spiced with pepper and ginger, served on a table set with enormous cheeses. The first full course included a gruel of millet tinted with saffron and enriched with sausages, mutton and kale, veal tinted with saffron, roast venison with garlic and onions, and roast boar and spice cakes. The second course brough ham and bread, a second gruel of millet, bread with caraway and fennel, boiled fish, a selection of venison baked in a crust, and a cream of almonds. The beverages included spiced wine and four kinds of beer."   From Time/Life's Foods of the World - The Cooking of Germany, 1969:

Unfortunately the bib. is a little vague on what the original source was.  Any ideas?

The rest of the conversation including the Biersuppe recipe can be seen at: http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/biersuppe_topic1709.html

I made some beer soup and found it wanting (maybe because I don't like beer).

I also tried the "a gruel of millet tinted with saffron and enriched with sausages, mutton and kale" mentioned here and even my non-adventurous guinea pigs dinner guests consumed large quantities.    Millet is a pleasant slightly sweet, starchy grain that seems to soak up a bit more water than rice does so here is roughly my recipe:

2 cps whole millet

6 cps water

pinch of saffron threads

about 4 large bratwursts

1# ground lamb

bunch kale (2 cps chopped)

salt, pepper

In a Dutch oven bring water, millet, saffron, salt to rolling boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover for 20+ minutes.  Chop brats into 1" pieces and remove skin, form marble sized balls of lamb and fry together until cooked through.  Finely chop one bunch of kale then stir into millet and let cook another 5 minutes then stir in drained meat and serve. 

This should be easy enough to cook over a camp fire too and while it is not the spiciest thing that I have ever cooked the proof is in how much everyone else ate I guess. 

Here is another contemporary Dutch recipe: http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/hutspot-dutch-stew_topic192...

Hutspot (pronounced: Hoots'pot)

From Wikipedia:
According to legend, the recipe came from the cooked bits of potato left behind by hastily departing Spanish soldiers during their Siege of Leiden in 1574 during the Eighty Year's War, when the liberators breached the dikes of the lower lying polders surrounding the city. This flooded all the fields around the city with about a foot of water. As there were few, if any, high points, the Spanish soldiers camping in the fields were essentially flushed out.

The anniversary of this event, known as Leidens Ontzet, is still celebrated every October 3 in Leiden and by Dutch expatriates the world over. Traditionally, the celebration includes consumption of a lot of "Hutspot met klapstuk/stooflap" (Hotchpotch with chuck roast/beef shoulder chops).

The first European record of the potato is as late as 1537, by the Spanish conquistador Juan de Castellanos, and it spread quite slowly throughout Europe from thereon. So the original legend probably should refer to what the Dutch call a 'sweet potato' or pastinaak which is a parsnip; this vegetable played a similar role in Dutch cuisine prior to the use of the potato as a staple food.

Recipe

• 1 lb lean roast (beef or pork)
  • salt
  • 2/3 lb onion
  • 4 lbs potatoes
  • 2 lb carrots
  • milk
  • 4 tbsp fat, butter or margarine
  • pepper

Wash meat, boil in about 2 cups water and salt (I would guess about 1 tsp or so, she didn't remember exactly) for about two hours. Wash and mince carrots. Peel and slice onions and potatoes. Add carrots, onion and potatoes to meat. Boil about 30 minutes, until done. Remove meat from pan. Mash all the vegetables and add fat, butter or margarine and pepper to taste. If it is too thick, add some milk, but a spoon should be able to stand up in it. Serve with the meat.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2018   Created by Jonas Samuelsson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service