Do anyone have any woodcuts ocr paintings on Knechts wearing gambeson?

Did they weare them?

Views: 1715

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure they wore something under their armor as padding, probably a Wams, but usually they wore a Waffenrock on top.  

Here's  working link for the Hofkleiderbuch (Abbildung und Beschreibung der Hof-Livreen) des Her... 

No need for padding under the armour. The Wams should be enough. Yet wams =/= padding. For more complex armour like full suits I gather that they wore something like an arming doublet as we have seen in 15th century but I know of no illustrations of the early 16th century.

They did not seem to wear classical gambeson aka Padded Jacks or the like. At least I do not know any reliable evidence for that. They didn´t really need one anyway as breastplates and splinted arms in combination with the wams worked plenty well or even better then a jack.

I have seen one crucification scene where the wams with its wide sleeves clearly looked padded aka a gambeson. I do not trust this illustration much as it is a crucification scene (antiquisation in work and all that) and one of its kind. Even if they didn´t wear padded armour in real life, an experiment would still be interesting though. ^^

Attachments:

Très cool! I like his padded hat too.

I'm not sure the green garment the landsknecht in "1538 allemagne portement de croix 0+1" is actually a gambeson. It could be just slightly padded cloth, i.e. a doublet.

Yes the problem with the former(ancient) images it is because we do not have more information! We can just try to imagine the object...

Attachments:

Thanks Olivier, the big picture is the one I was referring to.

And I didn´t know picture 2 and 3 so far so thanks for that.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2019   Created by Jonas Samuelsson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service